The Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG)
On November 19, 2014, the President signed the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) Act of 2014 into law (PL113-186). The bipartisan measure marks the first time in 18 years that Congress has passed legislation to strengthen the quality of child care.
The Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) allocates funds to states to assist families in affording child care and to strengthen the quality of child care. State child care policies vary greatly.
CCDBG Information at a Glance
KEY STATE BY STATE TABLES
Janet Singerman, President & CEO, Child Care Resources Inc., Charlotte, NC 7/26/12
Paula Koos, Executive Director, Oklahoma Child Care Resource & Referral Association, Oklahoma City, OK
3/25/14 House Education and the Workforce Subcommittee on Early Childhood. "The Foundation for Success: Strengthening the Child Care and Development Block Grant Program"
2/5/14 House Education and the Workforce Committee. “The Foundation for Success: Discussing Early Childhood Education and Care in America”
CCDBG Policy Data Book (2017)
- H.R. 1319, American Rescue Plan (March 10, 2021). CCDBG statutory langugage
- HHS, American Rescue Plan State by State Funding ($14.9 billion for Child Care Assistance and $23.9 billion for Stabilization increases by state, 4/15/21)
- HHS, American Rescue Plan Tribal Funding Table, 4/15/21
- FY2021 Coronavirus Response & Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA), December 2020 CCDBG Statutory Text for $10 billion increase in funding
- FY2021 COVID Relief $10 billion state by state table (ACF, Office of Child Care, February 2021)
- HHS CRRSA Information Memorandum, CCDF-ACF-IM-2021-01 (Related to Spending CRRSA funding)
- FY2021 Consolidated Appropriations Act Tax Treatment of Paycheck Protection Program & EIDL Forgiveness
- The CARES Act (3/27/20) includes an increase of $3.5 billion in the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) in addition to the $550 million increase enacted in December as part of the FY20 Labor, HHS, and Education Appropriations legislation.
- CCDBG statutory text included in the CARES Act
- CCDBG $3.5 billion allocation to states (4/20)
- HHS, Office of Child Care COVID-19 Resources
- HHS, Office of Child Care COVID FAQs, School-age Q&A
- Early Learning Policy Group COVID-19 Resource Page
CCDBG Implementation Resources:
Sheila Hoyle, Executive Director, Southwestern Child Development Commission, Webster, NC
Child Care & Economic Impact
Prior Year State CCDBG Tables
Bipartisan Policy Center
Nationwide Child Care Poll:
CCR&R ACF Comments "Improving Access to Affordable, High-Quality Child Care: Request for Information" (December 2019)
T.E.A.C.H. & WAGE$ Initiatives
National & State
Committee for Economic Development Toolkits